Thoughts that spill out of my head into the internet ether. Who am I ? I'm a juggler comedian / talent agent who works and lives near Ottawa, Canada. Want to know more. Read on.. but it's not all for the faint of heart.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Who was in the crowd??

I was recently at an event trade show, and the organizing committee was interested in having me come out and put on a show for the youth delegates. It sounded fun, and i committed to the show.

LIttle did i know that day was going to be sooo crazy. I loaded in my trade show display only to find out that I'd forgotten to fax my proof of insurance to the organization. They were not going to let me set up my booth or performing the show that night without proof of insurance. Thank God my admin assistant lives next door to my home/office.. i called her up and she had the forms faxed over in no time. Phew.

I also had a rather large booth to load in and set up. It was kind of bulky and wooden, as well i had a shows worth of gear to load in. It was tiring.

Then worked the trade show floor from 3pm-7:15pm.. at which point it was time for me to take a little break and prep for my 8pm show. Little did I know what was waiting for me at the show on the 18th floor.

As i neared the conference room on the 18th floor I could hear a chattery / twittery din coming from the room. And i could smell the estrogen. My audience for the show were the Youth Ambassadors roughly 250 girls (aged 18-25) and 6 guys, with a few accompanying adults. All of the "Miss Whatevers" from each fair were there, Miss Renfrew, Miss Tecumsah, you name it.. they were all there, giddy, and glad to see their girlfriends. As it turns out the event was called an "ice cream social"

I was sugar crashing (after the long load in, the trade show day) and i was wondering how this was going to pan out. My plan was to get some food before the show.. have a sandwhich. I went downstairs into the underground mall and discovered that everything was closed! Ugh. So the show was going on with a sugar crashing me.

I managed to eat a bunch of cheese and craskers, had a diet coke, and stretched out a bit. My sound was set, props ready. My contact was making a little announcement, and I made a joke into the mic. the crowd hooted, hollered and I knew the show was going to rock. I got into it.. had some fun, and the crowd loved it. It's funny how as performers we can feed off the crowds energy. I ended up doign 45-50 minutes, including a bit with Pedro.. my new latin love machine ventriloquist puppet. It was great.

And thats it! The youth ambassadors had a fun time, i had a fun time, and i even maneged to sit in the hottub after the show, and followed that up with a nice meal. Life was good!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

Liked your blog and congratulations on a great show. Some people use alcohol to 'strip' down so their real self will come through during a performance. Seems like Someone made sure you were 'stripped down' without alcohol.

9:08 AM

 
Blogger Bri said...

thanks. Stripping down is sort of a clowning thing as well.. it's good to leave everything else behind, any baggage from the day. Personally my glucose level was a little low for that one.. but it all worked out well.

11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home